Re: Release Note changes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release Note changes
Date: 2017-09-04 11:11:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 4:49 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Migration to Version 10
>
> "A dump/restore using pg_dumpall, or use of pg_upgrade, is required
> for those wishing to migrate data from any previous release."
>
> This isn't true and is seriously misleading ...

Fair point.

> since pglogical and other
> proprietary tools exist that were designed specifically to allow this.
> Suggested additional wording would be...
>
> "If upgrading from a 9.4 server or later, external utilities using
> logical decoding, such as pglogical or proprietary alternatives, can
> also provide an alternate route, often with lower downtime."

It's not really true that the only alternatives to pglogical are
proprietary. Really, one could use any logical replication solution,
and there have been multiple open source alternatives for a decade.

> Our docs mention pglogical already, so don't see an issue with
> mentioning it here.

The existing reference is alongside a bunch of other third-party
tools. Mentioning it at the very top of our release notes would give
it a pride of place with which I'm not too comfortable.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company