Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2020-08-13 19:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 7:47 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I'm not in favor of unsupervised pgindent runs, really. It can do a lot
> of damage to code that was written without thinking about it --- in
> particular, it'll make a hash of comment blocks that were manually
> formatted and not protected with dashes.

No committer should be committing code without thinking about
pgindent. If some are, they need to up their game.

I am not sure whether weekly or after-every-commit pgindent runs is a
good idea, but I think we should try to do it once a month or so. It's
too annoying otherwise. I could go either way on the question of
automation.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company