Re: Release 14 Schedule

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release 14 Schedule
Date: 2021-09-23 17:06:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:00 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> - Numerous performance ...
> - B-tree...
> - Subscripting ...
> - Range types ...
> - Stored ...
> - Extended ...
> - SEARCH / CYCLE ...
> - libpq ...
> - TOAST ...
> (- emergency mode vacuum ...)

My opinion is that this is awfully long for a list of major features.
But Tom said 10 or so was typical, so perhaps I am all wet.

Still, this kind of seems like a laundry list to me. I'd argue for
cutting range types, extended statistics, SEARCH / CYCLE, TOAST, and
emergency mode vacuum. They're all nice, and I'm glad we have them,
but they're also things that only people who are deeply steeped in
PostgreSQL already seem likely to appreciate. Better scalability, less
bloat, working OUT parameters, and query pipelining have benefits
anyone can understand.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com