Re: pg_archivecleanup bug

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_archivecleanup bug
Date: 2013-12-09 16:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> In general, I think there is no excuse for code in the backend to use
>>> readdir() directly; it should be using ReadDir(), which takes care of this
>>> as well as error reporting.
>
>> My understanding is that the fd.c infrastructure can't be used in the
>> postmaster.
>
> Say what? See ParseConfigDirectory for code that certainly runs in the
> postmaster, and uses ReadDir().

Gosh, I could have sworn that I had calls into fd.c that were crashing
and burning during development because they happened too early in
postmaster startup. But it seems to work fine now, so I've pushed a
fix for this and a few related issues. Please let me know if you
think there are remaining issues.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company