Re: [HACKERS] Removing [Merge]Append nodes which contain a single subpath

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Removing [Merge]Append nodes which contain a single subpath
Date: 2018-03-15 15:43:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> It might be worth looking at whether we couldn't fix the single-member-
> Append issue the same way we fix no-op SubqueryScans, ie let setrefs.c
> get rid of them. That's not the most beautiful solution perhaps, but
> it'd be very localized and low-risk.

That's definitely a thought; it's a probably the simplest way of
saving the run-time cost of the Append node. However, I don't think
it's a great solution overall because it doesn't get us the other
advantages that David mentions in his original post. I think that to
gain those advantages we'll need to know at path-creation time that
there won't ultimately be an Append node in the finished plan.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company