Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-12-21 16:43:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 1:18 AM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 12:29:48PM +0200, David Steele wrote:
> >> Cannot move patch to the same commitfest, and multiple future commitfests
> >> exist!
> >
> > I am not sure what it means either. What if you just mark the existing
> > entry as returned with feedback, and create a new one ahead?
>
> Yeah, I can do that, but it would be nice to know why this is not
> working. It would also be nice to preserve the history.
>
> Magnus?

I think what it means is that it doesn't know which CommitFest is the
"next" one. If the patch were currently in the in-progress
CommitFest, the Open one (if any) would be the next one. Otherwise,
if there were only one Future CommitFest, that would be the next one.
But right now you're moving a patch that is already in the Open
CommitFest and there are two 2 Future CommitFests, so it doesn't know
which one to pick.

I think the old CommitFest application let you set the CommitFest via
the Edit screen also, so you could pick a specific CommitFest to
target. But that doesn't seem to exist in Magnus's version.

If you just wait until the Open CommitFest is marked In Progress and
the next one is marked Open, it should work in any case.

I think.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company