Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz, dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log
Date: 2013-01-18 17:14:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> So if my understating is correct, 1)Tomas Vondra commits to work on
> Windows support for 9.4, 2)on the assumption that one of Andrew
> Dunstan, Dave Page or Magnus Hagander will help him in Windows
> development.
>
> Ok? If so, I can commit the patch for 9.3 without Windows support. If
> not, I will move the patch to next CF (for 9.4).
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

+1 for this approach. I agree with Dave and Magnus that we don't want
Windows to become a second-class platform, but this patch isn't making
it so. The #ifdef that peeks inside of an instr_time is already
there, and it's not Tomas's fault that nobody has gotten around to
fixing it before now.

OTOH, I think that this sort of thing is quite wrong:

+#ifndef WIN32
+ " --aggregate-interval NUM\n"
+ " aggregate data over NUM seconds\n"
+#endif

The right approach if this can't be supported on Windows is to still
display the option in the --help output, and to display an error
message if the user tries to use it, saying that it is not currently
supported on Windows. That fact should also be mentioned in the
documentation.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company