Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: magnus(at)hagander(dot)net
Cc: andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz, dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: review: pgbench - aggregation of info written into log
Date: 2013-01-18 00:43:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/17/2013 06:04 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is I have access to absolutely no Windows machines,
>>> not mentioning the development tools (and that I have no clue about it).
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember there were people on this list doing Windows
>>> development
>>> on a virtual machine or something. Any interest in working on this /
>>> giving
>>> me some help?
>>>

>> One of the items on my very long TODO list (see stuff elsewhere about
>> committers not doing enough reviewing and committing) is to create a package
>> that can easily be run to set Windows Postgres development environments for
>> MSVC, Mingw and Cygwin on Amazon, GoGrid etc.
>>
>> Once I get that done I'll be a lot less sympathetic to "I don't have access
>> to Windows" pleas.
>>
>> Windows does run in a VM very well, but if you're going to set it up on your
>> own VM environment, (e.h. VirtualBox or KVM/qemu) you need your own legal
>> copy to install there. If you don't already have one, that will set you back
>> about $140.00 (for w7 Pro) in the USA. Note that that's significantly better
>> than the situation with OSX, which you can't run at all except on Apple
>> hardware.
>
> Yeah. I used to have an AMI with the VS environment preinstalled on
> Amazon, but I managed to fat finger things and delete it at some point
> and haven't really had time to rebuild it.
>
> Having a script that would download and install all the pre-requisites
> on such a box would be *great*. Then you could get up and going pretty
> quickly, and getting a Windows box up running for a few hours there is
> almost free, and you don't have to deal with licensing hassles.
>
> (Of course, the AMI method doesn't work all the way since you'd be
> distributing Visual Studio, but if we can have a script that
> auto-downloads-and-installs it as necessary we can get around that)

So if my understating is correct, 1)Tomas Vondra commits to work on
Windows support for 9.4, 2)on the assumption that one of Andrew
Dunstan, Dave Page or Magnus Hagander will help him in Windows
development.

Ok? If so, I can commit the patch for 9.3 without Windows support. If
not, I will move the patch to next CF (for 9.4).

Please correct me if I am wrong.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan