Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE
Date: 2015-03-13 11:48:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> The thing is, ()s are actually an odd-duck. Very little supports it, and
> while COPY allows it they're not required. EXPLAIN is a different story,
> because that's not WITH; we're actually using () *instead of* WITH.

Generally, I think the commands that don't have () are the older ones,
and those that do have it are the newer ones: EXPLAIN, VERBOSE, the
newest of our three COPY syntaxes, CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW, foreign
data wrappers, servers, and foreign tables. The older stuff like
CREATE DATABASE and REINDEX that uses ad-hoc syntax instead is a real
pain in the neck: every time you want to add an option, you've got to
add new parser rules and keywords, which is bad for the overall
efficiency of parsing. So I think this argument is exactly backwards:
parenthesized options are the newer, better way to do this sort of
thing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company