Heads-up: macOS Big Sur upgrade breaks EDB PostgreSQL installations

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Heads-up: macOS Big Sur upgrade breaks EDB PostgreSQL installations
Date: 2020-11-16 09:27:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

This is more of a head-ups than anything else, as I suspect this may come
up in various forums.

The PostgreSQL installers for macOS (from EDB, possibly others too) create
the data directory in /Library/PostgreSQL/<major_ver>/data. This has been
the case since the first release, 10+ years ago.

It looks like the Big Sur upgrade has taken it upon itself to "fix" any
filesystem permissions it doesn't like. On my system, this resulted in the
data directory having 0755 permissions, which meant that PostgreSQL refused
to start. Manually changing the permissions back to 0700 (0750 should also
work) fixes the issue.

I'm not sure there's much we can do about this - systems that are likely to
be affected are already out there, and we obviously don't want to relax the
permissions Postgres requires.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com