Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Kerberos support broken on MSVC builds for Windows x64?
Date: 2020-09-01 15:22:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was experimenting with building with MIT Kerberos support on 64 bit
Windows using MSVC and ran into a number of linker errors along the lines
of:

"C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\pgsql.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\zic.vcxproj" (default target) (2)
->
(Link target) ->
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
'C:\Progra~1\MIT\Kerberos\lib.obj'
[C:\Users\dpage\Downloads\postgresql-12.4\zic.vcxproj]

That was after I had to manually add the include and lib paths in
buildenv.pl. Diving in a bit further I found a couple of things:

1) The only buildfarm machine doing 64bit Windows Kerberos enabled builds
with MSVC is hammerkop. It enables it by setting the "krb5" option in
config.pl, however, as far as I can see (going back to 9.5), the option is
actually "gss". I can't see any sign in the log for the make step that it
actually is making any attempt to build with Kerberos, despite the UI
showing the icon for it.

2) I can't find anything in the MSVC build scripts in src/tools/msvc to
deal with 64bit Kerberos builds - Solution.pm seems to unconditionally try
to link with the 32bit libraries (e.g. lib/i386/krb5_32.lib instead of
lib/amd64/krb5_64.lib).

I'm assuming noone has tried a build with 64bit Kerberos, or am I missing
something?

Sidenote: I'm not sure even a 32bit Kerberos build will work, as
Solution.pm assumes the headers are in $self->{options}->{gss} .
'\inc\krb5', however in at least the latest installer from MIT they're
actually in $self->{options}->{gss} . '\include'.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com