Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jose Luis Tallon <jltallon(at)adv-solutions(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly
Date: 2020-09-01 15:40:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Aug-11, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 02:39:45PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

> > The grammar that has been committed was the one that for the most
> > support, so we need to live with that. I wonder if we should simplify
> > ReindexStmt and move the "concurrent" flag to be under "options", but
> > that may not be worth the time spent on as long as we don't have
> > CONCURRENTLY part of the parenthesized grammar.
>
> I think it's kind of a good idea, since the next patch does exactly that
> (parenthesize (CONCURRENTLY)).
>
> I included that as a new 0002, but it doesn't save anything though, so maybe
> it's not a win.

The advantage of using a parenthesized option list is that you can add
*further* options without making the new keywords reserved. Of course,
we already reserve CONCURRENTLY and VERBOSE pretty severely, so there's
no change. If you wanted REINDEX FLUFFY then it wouldn't work without
making that at least type_func_name_keyword I think; but REINDEX
(FLUFFY) would work just fine. And of course the new feature at hand
can be implemented.