Re: Allow batched insert during cross-partition updates

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Georgios Kokolatos <gkokolatos(at)protonmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow batched insert during cross-partition updates
Date: 2021-03-11 08:09:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Georgios,

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:54 AM Georgios Kokolatos
<gkokolatos(at)protonmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the patch. I had a first look and played around with the code.
>
> The code seems clean, complete, and does what it says on the tin. I will
> need a bit more time to acclimatise with all the use cases for a more
> thorough review.

Thanks for checking.

> I small question though is why expose PartitionTupleRouting and not add
> a couple of functions to get the necessary info? If I have read the code
> correctly the only members actually needed to be exposed are num_partitions
> and partitions. Not a critique, I am just curious.

I had implemented accessor functions in an earlier unposted version of
the patch, but just exposing PartitionTupleRouting does not sound so
harmful, so I switched to that approach. Maybe if others agree with
you that accessor functions would be better, I will change the patch
that way.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com