Re: Finding database for pg_upgrade missing library

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finding database for pg_upgrade missing library
Date: 2018-07-13 22:14:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 13 Jul 2018, at 18:28, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>
> I received a private pg_upgrade feature request to report the database
> name for missing loadable libraries. Currently we report "could not
> load library" and the library file name, e.g. $libdir/pgpool-regclass.
>
> The request is that we report the _database_ name that contained the
> loadable library reference. However, that isn't easy to do because we
> gather all loadable library file names, sort them, and remove
> duplicates, for reasons of efficiency and so we check libraries in a
> predictable alphabetical order.
>
> Is it worth modifying pg_upgrade to report the first or all databases
> that contain references to missing loadable libraries? I don't think
> so, but I wanted to ask here.

I ran into that very problem when upgrading 50+ clusters during a long night a
while back, and patched pg_upgrade to report the database which helped a lot
(or at least helped me be a bit lazy). So, +1 on the feature from me. If
there is interest I can see if I can dig out the patch and polish it up.

cheers ./daniel