Finding database for pg_upgrade missing library

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Finding database for pg_upgrade missing library
Date: 2018-07-13 16:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I received a private pg_upgrade feature request to report the database
name for missing loadable libraries. Currently we report "could not
load library" and the library file name, e.g. $libdir/pgpool-regclass.

The request is that we report the _database_ name that contained the
loadable library reference. However, that isn't easy to do because we
gather all loadable library file names, sort them, and remove
duplicates, for reasons of efficiency and so we check libraries in a
predictable alphabetical order.

Is it worth modifying pg_upgrade to report the first or all databases
that contain references to missing loadable libraries? I don't think
so, but I wanted to ask here.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +