Re: CF entries for 17 to be reviewed

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CF entries for 17 to be reviewed
Date: 2024-03-04 08:42:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 3 Mar 2024, at 01:19, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I'm not
> sure if the ones that do have a target version = 17 are actually all
> the patches targeting 17.

Yes, for me it’s only a hint where to bump things up. I will extend scope on other versions when I fill finish a pass though entries with version 17.

Here’s my take on “Miscellaneous” section.

* Permute underscore separated components of columns before fuzzy matching
The patch received some review, but not for latest version. I pinged the reviewer for an update.
* Add pg_wait_for_lockers() function
Citus-related patch, but may be of use to other distributed systems. This patch worth attention at least because author replied to himself 10+ times. Interesting addition, some feedback from Andres and Laurenz.
* Improve the log message output of basic_archive when basic_archive.archive_directory parameter is not set
Relatively simple change to improve user-friendliness. Daniel Gustafsson expressed interest recently.
* Fix log_line_prefix to display the transaction id (%x) for statements not in a transaction block
Reasonable log improvement, code is simple but in a tricky place. There was some feedback, I've asked if respondent can be a reviewer.
* Add Index-level REINDEX with multiple jobs
An addition to DBA toolset. Some unaddressed feedback, pinged authors.
* Add LSN <-> time conversion facility
There's ongoing discussion between Melanie and Tomas. Relatively heavyweight patchset, but given current solid technical level of the discussion this might land into 17. Take your chance to chime-in with review! :)
* date_trunc function in interval version
Some time tricks. There are review notes by Tomas. I pinged authors.
* Adding comments to help understand psql hidden queries
A couple of patches for psql --echo-hidden. Seems useful and simple. No reviews at all though. I moved the patch to "Clients" to reflect actual patch purpose and lighten generic “Miscellaneous".
* Improving EXPLAIN's display of SubPlan nodes
Some EXPLAIN changes, Alexander Alekseev was looking into this. I've asked him if he would be the reviewer.
* Should we remove -Wdeclaration-after-statement?
Not really a patch, kind of an opinion poll. The result is now kind of -BigNumber, I see no chances for this to get into 17, but maybe in future.
* Add to_regtypemod() SQL function
Cool nice function, some reviewers approved the patch. I've took a glance on the patch, seems nice, switched to "Ready for Committer". Some unrelated changes to genbki.pl, but according to thread it was needed for something.
* un-revert MAINTAIN privilege and pg_maintain predefined role
The work seems to be going on.
* Checkpoint extension hook
The patch is not provided yet. I've pinged the thread.

Stay tuned, I hope everyone interested in reviewing will find themself a cool interesting patch or two.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.