Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message

From: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message
Date: 2021-11-29 22:43:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/29/21, 2:32 PM, "Chapman Flack" <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> wrote:
> If it were me, I would combine that DETAIL and HINT as one larger HINT,
> and use DETAIL for specific details about what actually happened (such
> as the exact filename sought and the %m).
>
> The need for those details doesn't go away; they're still what you need
> when what went wrong is some other freak occurrence the hint doesn't
> explain.

How's this?

postgres=# CREATE EXTENSION does_not_exist;
ERROR: extension "does_not_exist" is not available
DETAIL: Extension control file "/usr/local/pgsql/share/extension/does_not_exist.control" does not exist.
HINT: The extension must first be installed on the system where PostgreSQL is running. The pg_available_extensions view lists the available extensions.

Nathan