Re: Removed unused import modules from tap tests

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removed unused import modules from tap tests
Date: 2021-11-10 12:59:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 10 Nov 2021, at 13:37, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
>
> On 2021-Nov-10, Michael Paquier wrote:
>
>> I would not have bothered changing things if the names of the modules
>> were the same across stable branches to minimize merge conflicts.
>>
>> However, everything has changed on HEAD, so there is a good argument
>> for simplifying the tests as you are proposing here. Any thoughts
>> from others?
>
> I agree with your reasoning..

Agreed, if we are ever to do it now would be the time.

> ..but I wonder what's the *benefit* of removing those includes. IOW, what's
> the reason not to simply drop the patch?

I think the value is mostly neatnikism, the actual effect on runtime is
unlikely to be measureable. I won't argue against doing it, but I suspect
we'll just slowly add a lot of these back as tests evolve making excercise
less useful.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/