Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)spamcop(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?
Date: 2011-06-07 09:22:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi.

I saw this feature in the changelog "Ask to reset connection in the query tool.", so I thought this would be something I requested a long time ago, that if connection is lost, the query and the table editing tool would ask to reconnect instead of just display an error and then ignore everything.

But I seem to be wrong - the behavior hasn't changed relative to 1.12.x. Did I interpret it incorrectly?

The scenario now is rather unfortunate.

- I have a query tool and a table edit window open.
- While my Mac sleeps, the connection is lost.
- I try to refresh or do anything in the tool or window, and I get an error and I can no longer do anything with these windows.
- So I close the windows, go to the main window and refresh the database. It asks me whether I want it to reconnect.
- I say yes, it reconnects - but when I try to open the table edit window again, PgAdmin crashes.

So I have to restart PgAdmin and set everything up from scratch.

By the way, it was discussed in the past that column width setups in the table window should be saved somewhere - at least for the last table edited. They are not saved and so I need to start adjusting the columns over again every time the above scenario happens. I suppose if re-connecting from the edit tool was possible, this would be a moot point.

Herouth