Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?
Date: 2011-06-20 01:35:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hey guys.

I have had the misfortune to try and work with pgadmin 1.12 on a
remote database for the last couple of days and experience has been
miserable to say the least. It frequently lost connection to the
database, even pulling up ten or twenty records caused it to throw
fits and lock up so I had to restart it. Honestly it was unusable. I
lost track of how many times I had to kill -9 the app because it could
not perform even the simples query without locking up tight. Once it
locks up it stays locked up for many minutes with a completely blank
window which does not refresh. After several minutes it comes up
saying it lost connection and at that stage all you can do is to shut
it off because it won't reconnect and go on.

Oddly enough I was able to use psql to connect to the database and run
the queries, examine the tables etc without problems but of course I
missed all the nice things you get with pgadmin.

The reason I am using 1.12 is because there are no debs or a PPA for
1.14 and 1.14 requires some libs that are not in the main repos for
maverick. I hope to upgrade ubuntu this weekend and will try
installing 1.14 at this time.

I know many people have blamed routers of firewalls for this problem
but I am pretty sure that's not the problem. I can use psql just fine,
I an use sqlyog to connect to mysql on the same machine just fine. I
don't lose connection to the machine using tora or other tools.

Just wanted to let you know.