Re: There is a statistic table?

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, waldomiro *EXTERN* <waldomiro(at)shx(dot)com(dot)br>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: There is a statistic table?
Date: 2009-10-21 17:17:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 10/15/09 11:27 PM, "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> wrote:

> waldomiro wrote:
>> I need to know how much the postgres is going to disk to get
>> blocks and how much it is going to cache? witch is the
>> statistic table and what is the field that indicates blocks
>> reads from the disk and the memory cache?
>
> The view pg_statio_all_tables will show you the number of
> disk reads and buffer hits per table.

My understanding is that it will not show that. Since postgres can't
distinguish between a read that comes from OS cache and one that goes to
disk, you're out of luck on knowing anything exact.
The above shows what comes from shared_buffers versus the OS, however. And
if reads are all buffered, they are not coming from disk. Only those that
come from the OS _may_ have come from disk.