Re: Integral PG DB replication

From: Ben Chobot <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
To: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Integral PG DB replication
Date: 2010-07-26 16:24:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jul 26, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Will DB replication be integral in v9? If so, when (approx) will that be out?
>
> I have a need for this functionality to replicate a read-only copy of a DB where the master and slave are 2 time zones away. Estimating DML traffic, I’d say maybe a few dozen writes per hour, but busty, plus near 100% of them will be inside of a 10 hour period/day. (I realize that this would probably be considered very low by most standards).

I'm assuming you mean a hot read-only copy of the DB, because you can currently do a warm replication with either WAL shipping or, in your case, even DRBD on a special partition would probably work just fine. But if you need a hot slave, then yes, you'll have to wait till 9 - assuming you need the replication to be built into core.