My experience with PostgreSQL 8.4

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: My experience with PostgreSQL 8.4
Date: 2009-07-31 22:30:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi!

We have just completed certification of a new standard deployment for
once:radix, our Rapid Application Development environment. We have
standardised on PostgreSQL 8.4, Java 1.6, Tomcat 6 and Firefox 3.5. Till
now, we'd stayed with 8.1/8.2 as we¹d not seen substantial benefits in
changing.

Our motivation for upgrading to 8.4 had been to stay current. We had not
expected significant performance improvements. But I must say it's like
someone has turned on the Turbocharger!

I've been getting calls over the past few days from beta testers who are
ecstatic. While it's true that PostgreSQL 8.4 is only part of the
performance improvement, this particular combination has lifted once:radix
to a whole new level.

I'd like to express my personal thanks and the appreciation of our users.
PostgreSQL 8.4 rocks!

Regards

Rob Napier