Re: Brochure final layout

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Brochure final layout
Date: 2009-07-16 13:14:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi!

My apologies for not being able to respond over the past few days. I¹ve been
in Adelaide working at locations where I was unable to send emails.

I¹ll respond to all recent emails over the next 24 hours. Where I have copy,
I¹ll complete construction of the translated artwork and will place that on
one of our FTP servers.

Regarding the translation of the InDesign layouts to an open source package.
It is not a problem. I am happy to switch, though I am not entirely
convinced that it is adequate. I think it is an extreme view to assume that
all open source is Œgood¹ while all commercial software is Œbad¹.

Adobe invented our modern typographic font systems and tools. No one does it
as well as they do. As well as font technology they have set the trends in
page design, illustration, photo manipulation, et al.

It is no great problem for me to set up a page in multiple languages and
there are many others who would have the capacity to assist. The advantages
that come from tight typographical controls (kerning, leading, etc.) and the
efficiency that comes from using the best design tools available is a great
incentive.

That said, I don¹t have a problem converting any designs I produce to an
open source package if that makes the material more accessible to a wider
market. I would like to look at a working with a special interest group to
work on standardization of marketing material. I understand that the website
is in the process of being re-designed through a competition. Perhaps there
could be some flow-on effects from that activity.

Regards

Rob Napier