Re: cluster index on a table

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Justin Pitts <justinpitts(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ibrahim Harrani <ibrahim(dot)harrani(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: cluster index on a table
Date: 2009-07-16 18:21:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

I could be wrong, but I think MSSQL only keeps the data specified in the
index in the index, and the remaining columns in the data.
That is, if there is a clustered index on a table on three columns out of
five, those three columns in the index are stored in the index, while the
other two are in a data portion. But it has been several years since I
worked with that DB.

They are certainly storing at least those columns in the index itself. And
that feature does work very well from a performance perspective.

IOT in Oracle is a huge win in some cases, but a bit more clunky for others
than Clustered Indexes in MSSQL. Both are highly useful.