Re: cluster index on a table

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Justin Pitts" <justinpitts(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: "Ibrahim Harrani" <ibrahim(dot)harrani(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cluster index on a table
Date: 2009-07-16 19:15:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com> wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I think MSSQL only keeps the data specified in
> the index in the index, and the remaining columns in the data.

Unless it has changed recently, an MS SQL Server clustered index is
the same as the Sybase implementation: all data for the tuple is
stored in the leaf page of the clustered index. There is no separate
heap. The indid in sysindexes is part of the clue -- a table has
either one 0 entry for the heap (if there is no clustered index) or
one 1 entry for the clustered index. "Normal" indexes have indid of 2
through 254, and indid 255 is reserved for out-of-line storage of text
and image data.

-Kevin