Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Joshua Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, info(at)openinventionnetwork(dot)com
Subject: Re: Oracle indemnifies PostgreSQL on its patents
Date: 2007-04-04 02:57:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh,

On 3/31/07 11:01 AM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> The PostgreSQL project should not give any credence to these
> announcements and should avoid all patent issues possible.

I think that's appropriate - the structure of the OIN looks like it's:
1) focused on Linux
2) designed to foster a patent pool of contributed patents

The license agreement isn't available online, so there's little to review.
What's more - the press release is vague enough that we're not sure if they
signed the same agreement everyone signed or if they made changes to the
agreement. In any case, I'm not sure what this really means.

Perhaps someone from OIN can enlighten us.

- Luke