Re: OS-X Tidbits

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Nick Farina <nick(at)spotlightmobile(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OS-X Tidbits
Date: 2006-10-24 22:17:37
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 17/10/06 23:33, "Nick Farina" <nick(at)spotlightmobile(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello devs,

Hi Nick,

> I'm really enjoying the Universal Binary version of pgAdmin much more
> than the PPC version. It's much snappier and the wxWidgets are more
> responsive as well!

Glad you like it.

> There are just a couple things that I think would help it fit in
> better to OS-X World:
>
> - In Preferences, you can adjust the font, but it doesn't seem to
> have any effect? It would be great to adjust the font for the
> treeview to make it smaller (my macbook screen is rather small
> vertically)

Yes, it seems that wxWindow::SetFont() doesn¹t work on wxMac. I¹ll
investigate further tomorrow and log a bug with them.

> - You can also adjust the Query font which works, but it's not
> aliased. I would love to use TextMate's default font, Monoco 12pt
> Aliased.

How would you normally select this? WxWidgets seems to have an anti alias
attribute for a wxFont, but the closest option I can see on the font
selection dialogue is Shadow which isn¹t really the same as anti-alising.

> - My biggest pet peeve: Command-W doesn't work to close windows

That¹ll have to wait for 1.8 I¹m afraid. I¹ll be polling the lists to build
a roadmap sometime after release ­ please make sure I remember to add it.

> - The Explain tooltips don't work right for me - the tooltip shows
> up the first time I click an icon, then it never comes back.

Thanks ­ I¹ve committed a fix for this.

> Again, I really love pgAdmin and would like to use it on OS-X (for
> the moment I'm running the win32 version in Parallels since it
> provides a better experience).

Unfortunately we¹re at the mercy of wxWidgets somewhat ­ wxMac has come on
in leaps and bounds in recent versions, but it¹s still not as mature as
wxMSW or wxGTK.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Dave.