Re: character varying and specfying datatypes

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Joe Kramer <cckramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: character varying and specfying datatypes
Date: 2006-10-18 11:45:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 17/10/06 13:39, "Joe Kramer" <cckramer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since new 1.6 beta there is no option to export database schema with
> "character varying" as "varchar". Wasn't there such option in 1.5?
> It's removed now?
>
> Why it's not possible to use varchar in pgadmn dialogs anymore?

PgAdmin 1.6 uses the SQL standard typenames rather than the
PostgreSQL-specific ones. This is in line with the PostgreSQL utilities such
as pg_dump and psql.

> Another annoying this is in Create table - >ADd Column dialog you
> cannot just type the desired datatype anymore, you're constricted to
> nearest match pgadmin finds for you.
> For example it's not possible to have "bigserial" datatype right away.
> After you type "big" it inserts bigint and you can't change it. The
> only way is to select it form list every time. (List is huge and not
> alphabetically sorted so you have to hunt for required datatype almost
> for every field)

Hmm, seems to be a Mac-ism. The wx team changed the behaviour of the combo
boxes in 2.6.2 (iirc), and we had to rewrite a bunch of code to fix things
up. I wonder if we missed this brokeness on Mac, or whether they changed
things again. I¹ll look into it.

Thanks, Dave.