Re: Build fails on OSX using wx 2.7.0

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Chris Campbell <chris(at)bignerdranch(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build fails on OSX using wx 2.7.0
Date: 2006-08-31 19:07:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 31/8/06 19:42, "Chris Campbell" <chris(at)bignerdranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2006, at 14:38, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's the downside - and until I find another generous
>> sponsor for
>> the project we're stuck!!
>
> What do you need? PostgreSQL binaries? Give me the ./configure
> parameters and I'll make you some Universal binaries.

--with-openssl

Is all I'm using. To be honest though, whilst it would be useful to play
with some Universal binaries I really need to be able to generate them
myself so I can roll out new releases on short notice without having to rely
on anyone else.

> The only reason I use a machine with the desired architecture to
> compile the binaries, rather than cross-compiling, is because of all
> the configure tests that test the host machine.

For the most part they shouldn't matter because the system libraries etc.
should be the same on either architecture - it's not like we'd be cross
compiling for Suse i386 on Redhat PPC for example. Have you ever come across
anything that didn't work when cross compiling?

> If we could just cache configure information (the .h file?) for OS X
> rather than re-generate it from the host machine, then we'd have no
> issue cross-compiling.
>
> So maybe if we just get someone to run ./configure (for wx? for
> pgadmin?) on an Intel machine and mail in the results, then we can
> save that in the repository and use it at build time? I'd certainly
> be willing to run some stuff on my MacBook Pro, if I know what
> commands I need to run.

I don't know if you can do that - configure does far more than just building
config.h; it builds all the Makefile's as well for example. Besides, even if
we could get the configuration somehow, I still can't cross compile it at
the moment!!

Oh, incidently wx and pgAdmin seem to be working just fine - it's only
PostgreSQL I'm having trouble with. I don't know if you've ever watched it
build, but it appears to compile subsection by subsection, then link all the
objects in a section into a SUBSYS.o file. Then, it links all the various
SUBSYS.o's together to create the executable. I *think* the issue I'm having
is that the first link steps (to create the SUBSYS.o's) ignore LDFLAGs, thus
building them only for ppc.

Regards, Dave.