Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe
Date: 2006-05-31 20:27:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 31/5/06 21:10, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>> Exactly my point; how many production Windows servers do you have with gzip
>> anywhere near them? Andreas' point about pipes is also valid though - it's
>> simply not the norm on Windows as I found when we were porting Slony
>> (more.exe barfs at >8MB being pipe in).
>
> I don't see that we should allow Windows' deficiencies to be an argument
> against providing a facility that would be useful on all our other platforms.

It's not about a primarily GUI based OS not being able to do everything a
traditionally command line based OS can do on the command line, it's about
providing a solution that will work on either and remain portable. Whilst I
agree with your objection to using pg_lzcompress, I for one would rather see
a builtin solution that I know will work whatever platform/box I'm on
without having to go and download additional tools.

Regards, Dave.