Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible TODO item: copy to/from pipe
Date: 2006-05-31 20:12:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>> But why is that hugely better than piping psql output to gzip?
>>

> psql output has already travelled over the network.

As I understand Tom's suggestion, it does not involve compression of
over the wire data. He suggested that on the server you would be able to do:

COPY mytable TO '| gzip >/home/tgl/mytable.dump.gz';

and that there could be an equivalent extension on psql's \copy command, as an alternative to doing

psql -c "COPY mytable TO stdout" mydb | gzip ...

It's the second piece especially that seems to me unnecessary.

So I am still unconvinced.

cheers

andrew