Re: Blog post on EnterpriseDB...maybe off topic

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Blog post on EnterpriseDB...maybe off topic
Date: 2006-02-18 15:38:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh,

On 2/18/06 7:15 AM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> EnterpriseDB is a fork of PostgreSQL that contains a reasonable level of
> pl/SQL (Oracle) compatibility.
> My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that they support packages,
> in, inout paramters etc.. in
> the same syntactical way that Oracle does.

Thanks!

I figure they'll have to do quite a lot to make progress in their chosen
market, including:

- SQL*Net protocol compatibility
- Oracle Number datatype support
- ROWID unique row identifier
- Oracle Redo/Undo log format parsing and replay
- SQL Loader format support
- Oracle exp/imp format support

The broader Oracle enterprise market is used to a high level of integration
of Oracle instances across the enterprise, and their DBAs are highly trained
to use these features.

- Luke