Re: Search machine is ready

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Search machine is ready
Date: 2006-02-14 21:56:28
Lists: pgsql-www

On 14/2/06 21:38, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>>

> I am forwarding this to pgsql-www as it really is a community decision.

Yes, which is why I discussed it with the community admins before responding
to you.

> Well John Hansen didn't have a problem with it and has already begun
> work. I have also already stated that we can make sure that you actually
> have access to what you "need" to operate the environment.
>
> Your requirements as listed above distinctly note a lack of a need for
> root access. Thus I really don't know what your concern is outside of a
> feeling that you need "control".

Yes, we do. The community should control things, not individual companies.
None of the other entities providing the project with hosting have gone out
of their way to deny us the ability to control the services we provide, and
as the people who ultimately have to make sure these things work we do not
feel that having to rely on (for example) a level 1 support tech in the
middle of the night who has no idea what our server does or how it works is
in any way a good thing.

This is a dedicated server for the PostgreSQL project, that you offered to
us knowing full well we were expecting full root access to. Why is it such a
bad thing to provide exactly that?

Regards, Dave.