Re: Search machine is ready

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Search machine is ready
Date: 2006-02-14 21:38:26
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:

I am forwarding this to pgsql-www as it really is a community decision.

> On 14/2/06 18:00, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
>>> To setup user accounts, to install/upgrade PostgreSQL/Aspseek/apache, to
>> Well you shouldn't need root access for any of that. Nor should you be
>> upgrading anything but Aspseek. If we need something upgrading we will
>> gladly handle it.
>>
>>> fix things when they go wrong... We will continue to run and manage
>>> things on a day to day basis, just with Command Prompt as backup.
>>>

>>> I thought this was a dedicated machine?
>> It is a dedicated machine. We don't allow root access to anyone on any
>> of the machines we host, regardless if it is dedicated.
>>
>> This way we don't get weird things like people not knowing "who"
>> installed an alpha version of mailman (like on pgFoundry).
>>
>> Our experience shows that if you think you need root access, chances
>> are you don't. From your above requirements, you don't need root access.
>>
>> You do need some group perms setup, sudo ability to a couple of
>> administrative commands.
>>
>> I know this is a little different then how the community is used to
>> working but we have a solid track record and this is one of the reasons.
>
> Hi Joshua,
>
> You are right that what you are proposing is not the way we are used to
> working, and having consulted with the other admins in the community
> (specifically Marc and Magnus), we agree that we do not want to change the
> way we work and have to rely on people that we don't know, and have no
> intimate knowledge of our requirements or systems in a time when we might
> need almost instant response in the middle of the night.
>
> We would be prepared to compromise and be restricted to root control of a VM
> if you're prepared to setup the box as a Linux Vserver however. That would
> ensure that only your staff have control over the host OS, allowing them to
> support the system and network etc, but give us the control we require over
> the software we run.
>
> Regards, Dave

Well John Hansen didn't have a problem with it and has already begun
work. I have also already stated that we can make sure that you actually
have access to what you "need" to operate the environment.

Your requirements as listed above distinctly note a lack of a need for
root access. Thus I really don't know what your concern is outside of a
feeling that you need "control".

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake