Multiple hosts in connection string failed to failover in non-hot standby mode

From: Hubert Zhang <zhubert(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Multiple hosts in connection string failed to failover in non-hot standby mode
Date: 2020-10-27 07:14:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

Libpq has supported to specify multiple hosts in connection string and enable auto failover when the previous PostgreSQL instance cannot be accessed.
But when I tried to enable this feature for a non-hot standby, it cannot do the failover with the following messages.

psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL: the database system is starting up

Document says ' If a connection is established successfully, but authentication fails, the remaining hosts in the list are not tried.'
I'm wondering is it a feature by design or a bug? If it's a bug, I plan to fix it.

Thanks,
Hubert Zhang