Re: pg_bsd_indent - improvements around offsetof and sizeof

From: Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_bsd_indent - improvements around offsetof and sizeof
Date: 2016-05-25 20:01:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016-05-25 21:13, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'd love to see a fix for its brain damage around function pointer typedef formatting, too.

Show me a few examples and I'll look into it.

> I'm excited about this too, not least because it suggests that maybe bsdindent isn't quite as opaque as it appears.

It's old, hacked on many times over the past few decades and
historically just a band-aid rather than something designed from the
ground up, so it's not easy to work with. Which is why I think that a
newer tool (like ClangFormat) should be considered as a replacement for
pg_bsd_indent.