RE: Popcount optimization using AVX512

From: "Amonson, Paul D" <paul(dot)d(dot)amonson(at)intel(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Shankaran, Akash" <akash(dot)shankaran(at)intel(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Popcount optimization using AVX512
Date: 2024-03-28 22:03:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I also do not know how to integrate MSVC+Autoconf, the CI uses MSVC+Meson+Ninja so I stuck with that.

> * I think we need to verify there isn't a huge performance regression for
> smaller arrays. IIUC those will still require an AVX512 instruction or
> two as well as a function call, which might add some noticeable overhead.

Not considering your changes, I had already tested small buffers. At less than 512 bytes there was no measurable regression (there was one extra condition check) and for 512+ bytes it moved from no regression to some gains between 512 and 4096 bytes. Assuming you introduced no extra function calls, it should be the same.

> I forgot to mention that I also want to understand whether we can actually assume availability of XGETBV when CPUID says we support AVX512:

You cannot assume as there are edge cases where AVX-512 was found on system one during compile but it's not actually available in a kernel on a second system at runtime despite the CPU actually having the hardware feature.

I will review the new patch to see if there are anything that jumps out at me.

Thanks,
Paul