Re: Default extension for sql scripts

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default extension for sql scripts
Date: 2005-10-27 05:38:10
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 26/10/05 4:56 pm, "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:

>>> Well, thats fixed in 1.4 afaik - one can now switch the db-connection of a
>>> query window, can't one?. The sql-file coul be opened in a query window
>>> with no
>>> selected connection, and the user could chosse the connection afterwards.
>>> Does this sound reasonable?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> BTW, I should really backout your earlier patch until after 1.4-STABLE is
>> branched - I didn't realise you were starting on new functionality, probably
>> because I didn't get your original email.
>
> Well, sorry for that, I didn't mean to "sneak the patch in"..

No, I realise that :-)

> But I didn't plan to submit patches for actually opening a saved query
> with a double-click before 1.4 was branched. I just wanted to make
> pgAdmin3 announce the extension .sql, and provide an icon for it -
> something I more or less consider to be part of "behaving like a good
> osx citizen".

Actually I'd say that's precisely what it doesn't do. By associating the
icon, you're allowing the user to open that filetype in pgAdmin. Only it
doesn't. If you leave it un-associated, at least the finder will ask them
what app to open it in so they can do something useful.

> That pgAdmin3 now actually starts when double-clicking a
> saved query (Well, at least if you named your file *.sql) is more a
> byproduct of announcing the type in the Info.plist, and providing an Icon.
>
> It's up to you, of course, to decide how to go forward with this.
> My plan would be to fix the "add .sql extension to filename" bug

Oh, I do intend to look at that. I'm in Japan with Andreas at the moment as
it happens, and expect to have some time to look at some mac issues like
this.

> for 1.4, but to leave the "open query with double-click" thing
> for 1.4.1 at least.

It'll be for 1.5 (which will eventually be released as 1.6. We don't add any
new features to point releases.

> I belive the Info.plist changes I sent are still
> ok for 1.4 - even if it's a bit strange that pgadmin will startup on
> double-clicking a file, but won't actually open the query. If you
> deem that behaviour unacceptably, then I could try to figure out
> how to prevent it.

Well for no I just rolled back the info.plist changes, and left the makefile
changes and the extra file in place. I guess that should do the job for now.

Regards, Dave