Re: pgperl vs dbd-perl

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgperl vs dbd-perl
Date: 2005-08-09 14:57:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On 8/9/05 10:45 AM, "David" <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm wondering which of the two is considered the best. I have both
> installed on my system and actually have done some work with PgPerl
> because it looked a bit less complicated, and at first, I thought that
> this might be a more postgres-specific interface.
>
> However, in researching the mailing lists, etc, it seems that DBD:: is
> getting the most attention - in fact, I see little mention of PgPerl,
> and the PgPerl list seems rather quiet.
>
> In addition, it appears that DBD can do things that PgPerl can't. For
> example, I haven't been able to find an escape-string function in
> PgPerl, which I'm now looking to implement. Would one need to write his
> own escape-string for PgPerl?
>
> Is PgPerl still viable or is DBD the way to go?

DBD::Pg is the way to go, for numerous reasons. DBI is very well supported.
More importantly, almost all database-related work is done by building on
DBI. Interfacing your own code with those of others is then relatively
straightforward. See, for some examples, DBIx::RecordSet or Class::DBI.
Finally, if you every need to port to another database product (GASP!), DBI
is fairly easy to adapt (depending on DB-specific SQL).

Sean