Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2019-02-25 17:24:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Feb 25, 2019, at 08:55, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>
> I honestly do doubt that they have had the same experiences that I have
> had

Well, I guarantee you that no two people on this list have had identical experiences. :) I certainly have been bitten by the problems with the current system. But the resistance to major version upgrades is *huge*, and I'm strongly biased against anything that will make that harder. I'm not sure I'm communicating how big a problem telling many large installations, "If you move to v12/13/etc., you will have to change your backup system" is going to be.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com