Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2019-02-25 21:38:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2019-02-25 09:24:32 -0800, Christophe Pettus wrote:
> But the resistance to major version upgrades is *huge*, and I'm
> strongly biased against anything that will make that harder. I'm not
> sure I'm communicating how big a problem telling many large
> installations, "If you move to v12/13/etc., you will have to change
> your backup system" is going to be.

I think you might be right about this specific issue. But to me it
sounds like you also don't appreciate that development resources are
really constrained too, and providing endless backward compatibility for
everything is going to use both resources directly, and indirectly by
making the whole system more complex. I've been on your side of this
fight a couple times (and largely lost), but I think it's important to
appreciate that it's all a balancing, and we all have valid reasons to
keep the balance between development pace / ease of use / ease of
upgrade the way we argue for them. Hard upgrading is going to reduce
adoption, but so is lack of feature development and too many creaky &
redundant & easy to misuse interfaces.

Greetings,

Andres Freund