Re: enable thready safety on Mac OS X 10.3.4

From: <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Aaron Burghardt <aburgh(at)mac(dot)com>
Subject: Re: enable thready safety on Mac OS X 10.3.4
Date: 2004-06-27 01:43:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/26/04 3:01 PM, "Keary Suska" <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net> wrote:

>> I attempted to compile 7.4.3 with enable-thread-safety but it fails and
>> says it's not supported. My configure command was:
>>
>> ./configure --enable-thread-safety
>
> This is what I did for 10.3.4/7.4.2:
>
> 1. Enabled thread support in the platform template: src/template/darwin (see
> src/tools/thread/README for info)
>
> 2. Configured/compiled
>
> 3. Ran the thread_test program that was created by compile (in
> src/tools/thread)
>
> 4. Followed any recommendations output by the program
>
> 5. Re-configured/compiled
>
> Everything was fine.

You shouldn't have to mess with template/darwin. Back post 7.4.2 I went
through a number of iterations with the developers on this and it was
working out of the box. They were in the process of rewriting the threads
detection and configuration to be more clean and reliable.

I just tried it from the CVS source and it worked fine, even after a 'make
clean'. However, when I download 7.4.3 and try it, I get the same error as
you. The darwin template is identical between the two. I would have
thought all those code changes would have been incorporated in 7.4.3.

I think this requires some more investigation. Mac OS X 10.3.x should be
working off the bat.

Wes