Re: Datatype sizes; a space and speed issue?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Joel Matthew <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Datatype sizes; a space and speed issue?
Date: 2004-06-27 06:45:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 02:43:06PM +0900, Joel Matthew wrote:
> > We used to have some attempts at optimizing on the assumption that
> > char(n) fields were physically fixed-width, but we gave it up as a
> > bad job several major releases back ... it was never more than a
> > very marginal optimization anyway ...
>
> Does that mean that PostGreSQL fixes character width at thirty-two bits,
> or that it uses UTF-8, or that it just stores what it gets?

It'll use utf8 if configured to do so; it'll just store what it gets if
configured as SQL_ASCII (it isn't really ASCII); or it will convert from
the client encoding to the server encoding before storing, if they are
different.

> (Checked chapter 8.3 in the manual, didn't see the answer there. Not
> that I really want to know. With Unicode, trying to optimize record
> sizes for char/text fields is a little like trying to play Russian
> Roulette. Wait, is that no longer politically correct? Should it be
> called six-chamber roulette, now? Don't want to offend anyone.)

Of course, the optimization could have only worked on fixed-width
encodings (not utf8 -- maybe possible with utf32, but Postgres doesn't
support that AFAIK), but since current versions enable multibyte by
default there's really no point in trying.

"I would rather have GNU than GNOT." (ccchips, lwn.net/Articles/37595/)