ecpg: HOW TO READ RECORD ??

From: "Roger Moloney" <ramoloney(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ecpg: HOW TO READ RECORD ??
Date: 2007-08-23 14:55:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

We use ecpg (embedded sql) and plpgsql (postgres functions).

I'm having trouble trying to get embedded SQL to read the result of a
plpgsql function which returns RECORD or SETOF RECORD.

Does anyone have an example of this ? I don't see it in the ecpg source
examples or in the ecpg manual.

/* following is an example of plpgsql to illustrate the data being returned
*/

/* type defined for the record that the function will return to avoid using
column list */
create type tp_GetPerson as (
person_name char(40),
person_age smallint
);

/* this function returns zero or more tp_GetPerson records */
create function p_GetPersonByDept (pperson_dept integer)
returns SETOF tp_GetPerson as
$$
declare
v_record tp_GetPerson%ROWTYPE;
begin
for v_record in
select person_name, person_age from person where person_dept =
pperson_dept
loop
return next v_record;
end loop;
return;
end
$$
language 'plpgsql';

WHAT SHOULD THE ECPG PROGRAM LOOK LIKE THAT CAN READ THE DATA RETURNED ?

thanks,
RML

Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger NOW!
http://get.live.com/en-za/messenger/overview