Re: dynamic functions

From: "Robert Wimmer" <seppwimmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dynamic functions
Date: 2005-05-07 15:08:38
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

hi sean,

i tried the FOR-IN-EXECUTE methode before but i couldn't manage it. now i
got it. it's tricky and the code looks strange. the first trick is (you cant
use an integer as a result because in that case pgplsql would expext a
'normal' FOR i IN 2..5 LOOP.) i had to create a dummy type for the result.

CREATE TYPE attribute.temp AS (err INTEGER);

And then I misused an empty FOR LOOP as an assignment ...

###
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION attribute.validate(TEXT,TEXT) RETURNS INTEGER AS
'
DECLARE
tmp RECORD;
cmd TEXT;
BEGIN
cmd := ''SELECT * FROM '' || $1 || ''('' || quote_literal($2) || '')'';
FOR tmp IN EXECUTE cmd LOOP END LOOP;
RETURN tmp.err;
END; '
LANGUAGE plpgsql;
###

but it works ...

thanks for the inspiration

sepp

its a problem that there is no example in the documentation for this
workaround :-<