Re: dynamic functions

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Wimmer" <seppwimmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dynamic functions
Date: 2005-05-05 22:30:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

From the manual, you can use FOR-IN-EXECUTE or a cursor for pl/pgsql:

The results from SELECT commands are discarded by EXECUTE, and SELECT
INTO is not currently supported within EXECUTE. So there is no way to
extract a result from a dynamically-created SELECT using the plain
EXECUTE command. There are two other ways to do it, however: one is to
use the FOR-IN-EXECUTE loop form described in Section 35.7.4, and the
other is to use a cursor with OPEN-FOR-EXECUTE, as described in Section
35.8.2.

Does this help any? If not, they you could use another procedure
language like pl/perl or others. With many of them, you can build the
SQL query, then execute it and get the returned results. Again, see
the manual section for pl/perl (for example,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/plperl-database.html) and
others.

Sean