Re: 7.1. Overview (The SQL Language)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Grzegorz Szpetkowski <gszpetkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.1. Overview (The SQL Language)
Date: 2011-06-13 15:05:47
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Grzegorz Szpetkowski
<gszpetkowski(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/queries-overview.html
>
> "Assuming that there is a table called table1, this command would
> retrieve all rows and all columns from table1."
>
> Maybe it's worth adding:
>
> "Assuming that there is a table called table1, this command would
> retrieve all rows and all columns (excluding system columns described
> at Section 5.4) from table1."

Since this is a basic SQL tutorial, we don't want to get too far down
into the weeds, or people will get confused. The next sentence would
need some thought, too:

The select list specification <literal>*</literal> means all columns
that the table expression happens to provide.

Possibly we could add a footnote?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company