Re: Performance of pgAdmin 14 Beta 1

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Kieran McCusker <kieran(dot)mccusker(at)kwest(dot)info>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance of pgAdmin 14 Beta 1
Date: 2011-06-03 11:35:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Kieran McCusker
> <kieran(dot)mccusker(at)kwest(dot)info> wrote:
>> If we cannot go back to lazy loading these tabs would it be possible to
>> disable or hide these tabs and the corresponding querys in File ->
>> Options (similar to the browser tab or maybe a general "simple mode"
>> type idea).
>
> I'll look into it.

I figured out a way of detecting if a tab is visible, regardless of
whether it is currently selected, so with that info we can ensure we
only load the listviews that are currently visible (or are about to
become visible, if the tabset selection is changing). I also realised
that we were loading the three most expensive tabs twice every time
the selected object was changed(!), so even if all tabs are visible it
should be twice as fast as it was now.

I also cleaned up the code that does this, as it had become somewhat
spaghetti-like, and had duplication in a number of code paths.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company