"Service user account 'postgres' could not be created" -- 8.4.2-1 and Active Directory on Windows08 R2

From: Greg Corradini <gregcorradini(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "Service user account 'postgres' could not be created" -- 8.4.2-1 and Active Directory on Windows08 R2
Date: 2011-04-19 18:48:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I'm getting 'service user account 'postgres' could not be created' when
using the postgresql-8.4.2-1 one-click installer (i also get the same error
with a new version of postgresql 8.4.8-1)

So i know in the past (version 8.3.x) there were problems with Windows
Server 2008 R2 running Active Directory and postgresql around this same
error. I'm running into exactly the same errors as described here:
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/1516.page

After I get the error i cancel out of the installation, make sure there's no
postgresql install, make sure there's no postgresql service running, blow
away postgres user, make sure there is nothing in the registry and reboot.

I try to reinstall again and run into the same problem.

--
Greg